VMware, Nvidia and Google have announced a collaborative effort to deliver high-performance virtual desktops and workstation-class graphics to Google Chromebooks.
"We are breaking down traditional barriers to adopting virtual desktops and offering new economics for the delivery of graphics-intensive applications through the power of the cloud," said Sanjay Poonen, executive vice president and general manager, End-User Computing at VMware.
"Organisations of all industries and requirements will soon be able to embrace the mobile-cloud using a solution that offers a new way to work from three proven industry leaders."
The news was announced at this year's VMWorld event. Other news from the show includes the following:
- VMware, the virtualization and cloud infrastructure specialist, announced the acquisition of CloudVolumes, a provider of real-time application delivery technology that enables enterprises to deliver native applications to virtualized environments on-demand.
- VMware announced the VMware vCloud Air Network which aims to 'provide greater choice and flexibility to businesses looking to capitalize on the advantages of hybrid cloud', as well as new virtualization, cloud management and integrated OpenStack solutions, and VMware EVO: Rail, an infrastructure appliance that helps customers 'streamline the deployment and scale-out of software-defined IT infrastructure'.
VMware also presented VMware Workspace Suite, a new integrated platform for managing applications, data and devices.
- F5 Networks and VMware announced interoperability between F5’s BIG-IQ management platform and the VMware NSX network virtualization platform.
- VCE and VMware revealed an expansion of their strategic partnership to include new collaborative development initiatives for delivering integrated management solutions for the hybrid cloud.
- VMware announced joint initiatives with Docker, Google and Pivotal to help enterprises run and manage container-based applications on a common platform at scale in private, public and hybrid clouds.
- VMware extended its relationship with SAP SE to help simplify mobile app delivery for end users.
You can also check out two conferences from the show here: