Photography retail chain Jessops is reopening today with Dragons’ Den entrepreneur Peter Jones CBE at the helm.
Jones is launching six stores this Thursday, then up to 30 more throughout April, with the goal of opening one per day.
Here's the list of the six opening today:
- London, Oxford Street
- High Wycombe
- St Albans
Jones is now chairman and chief executive of Jessops, after investing £4m in the brand back in February after a rocky start to the year which saw the firm go into administration and close all shops in the same week.
The move will create up to 500 jobs, and Jessops is forecasting sales of over £80m in Year 1. Optimistic? Too early to tell.
The website is also reopening at midday today.
Peter Jones CBE commented: “Britain’s high street is fighting back - the facts show it, and I am giving my personal commitment to its resurgence by re-opening the doors of one of Britain’s most historic retailers.
“I’m taking the helm as Chairman and Chief Executive because I believe Jessops is an iconic British brand which can lead the retail resurgence on Britain’s high streets, powered by new innovations and world-leading, expert staff.
“Image is everything, and even in the mobile and tablet era, there’s no substitute for a quality camera when it comes to taking the perfect picture. Jessops’ hallmark expertise and customer service will now be available again to customers across the UK.
“I’m convinced the great British public will get behind Jessops and look forward to welcoming the first new customers through our doors on Thursday.”
The firm tells PCR that new Jessops stores will feature:
- Play Tables: Reconfigured stores to give an interactive experience where you can touch and feel the products, and try before you buy
- The Jessops Academy: photography courses can be booked in every store, for all levels from amateur snappers to aspiring professionals
- Collect@store: Greater integration with Jessops’ online offering, including a collect@store option for customers
- Expert assistance: The most highly-trained sales assistants in Europe, many specially trained with the camera manufacturers
- Europe’s Biggest range: Widest range of the world’s leading imaging brands
- Photo Printing: Offering a 25 minute express service as well as premium printing to canvas & posters within the hour