'Exploding' Samsung Galaxy S3 was actually microwaved - PC Retail

'Exploding' Samsung Galaxy S3 was actually microwaved

Phone owner retracts original statement that S3 exploded
Author:
Publish date:
1-galaxy_s3.jpg

FIUK’s report disproves that a Samsung Galaxy S3 exploded in a user's car.

A few weeks back PCR reported that a smartphone owner claimed that their Galaxy S3 exploded whilst mounted in their car.

After investigating the incident FIUK (Fire Investigations UK) stated that: "The only way it was possible to produce damage similar to the damage recorded within the owner's damaged device was to place the devices or component parts within a domestic microwave."

The owner of the smartphone claim that they were driving along with the phone mounted in the car, when suddenly a white flame, sparks and a bang came out it.

After posting a series of pictures on an a forum under the username Dillo2k10 and drawing a lot of attention to the ‘explosion’, the phone owner was contacted directly by Samsung and given a replacement phone as well as other freebies.

Image placeholder title

Since the release of the report, Dillo2k10 has added the following post to their original thread: "I would like to retract my original statement. The damage to the phone was caused by another person, although they were attempting to recover the phone from water this later caused the damage shown on the phone.”

"It occurred due to a large amount of external energy and there was no fault with the phone. This was not a deliberate act but a stupid mistake."

Want to receive up-to-the-minute tech news straight to your inbox? Then click here to sign up for the completely free PCR Daily Digest and Newsflash email services. You can also follow PCR on Twitter and Facebook.

Related