A website set up by the law office of M.Van Smith and Damian R.Fernandez has laid out a list of clauses, which it says contradict Apple's legal obligations to customers. If any of the 6 clauses apply to you as an iPhone user, the site claims that, as a collective, those who complain of being mistreated by Apple can take on and win a lawsuit in order to claim compensation.
Appleiphonelawsuit.com is encouraging disgruntled iPhone users specifically in California to join the class action lawsuit developing against Apple following the release of the allegedly phone killing update.The clauses are as follows:
1. You own an iPhone and you want to transfer to a wireless carrier other than AT&T. You fall into this category even if you did not unlock your iPhone or have your iPhone disabled by an iPhone update.
2. Your iPhone was disabled, malfunctioned, or you had third-party applications erased after you downloaded iPhone update 1.1.1.
3. You contacted Apple to repair your iPhone and Apple refused to honour your warranty because you did any one the following: (1) unlocked your iPhone, or (2) installed a third party application.
4. You incurred a cancellation fee from your previous wireless carrier when you transferred to AT&T’s wireless service.
5. You incurred roaming charges while travelling abroad with your iPhone.
6. You purchased a third-party warranty at extra cost for your iPhone because of Apple’s released statement that it will not honor warranties on unlocked iPhones.
The case, if won, could of course set precedent for other iPhone users to claim compensation against the company, who have been accused of ignoring their legal obligations.