Whenever I get to cover topics such as the cloud and artificial intelligence, it can be tempting to get sucked into a futuristic world of robotic shop assistants, or even worse – some Skynet-style super self-aware intelligence system that will no doubt turn on all of us once it has become powerful enough to figure out that the human race has had its day.
I think it’s safe to say that is probably not going to happen – and I’ve possibly been watching too much sci-fi.
Thankfully, while compiling this issue of PCR, I’ve come across some much more useful, realistic and less frightening use-cases for both the cloud and AI.
On page 16, Giacom’s Mike Wardell discusses the cloud distributor’s customer-centric way of working, on page 22 we look at how AI is being used to give retailers a better understanding of their customers, and on page 30 industry experts discuss the latest cloud computing trends.
So have a read of what the future really does look like for the industry, and try not to worry so much about being destroyed by assassin cyborgs from 2029 – which isn’t really that far off…
– Retail Analysis: The truth about biodegradable bags
– The Big Interview: Giacom’s Mike Wardell
– AI’s place in retail
– PCR Awards 2020: The shortlist is revealed
– CES 2020 Review
– Standing out in the cloud
– Top 5 Tech: Noblechairs’ Steven Levitt
– Sector Guide: AI Toys and Gadgets
– Crowdfunding Corner
– Sector Guide: Cloud products
– Life in the Channel: OnBuy’s Cas Paton
– Logging Off
Read the latest edition of PCR’s monthly magazine below: