Over a tenth of Americans think HTML is a type of sexually-transmitted disease, a survey has found.
Conducted by Vouchercloud.net, the survey of over 2,300 adults also revealed that over a quarter (27 per cent) of Americans believe a ‘gigabyte’ to be an insect found in South America.
Other findings included:
- The commonly-held belief by almost half of respondents (42 per cent) that a ‘motherboard’ is the deck of a cruise ship.
- The misidentification by almost a quarter of those surveyed (23 per cent) of ‘MP3’ as a robot from Star Wars.
- The confusion suffered by a fifth of adults (18 per cent) surrounding ‘Blu-ray’ as a possible marine animal.
- The misunderstanding of 15 per cent of people that ‘software’ is comfortable clothing.
- The incorrect idea that ‘USB’ is an acronym for a European country.
- The fact that an overwhelming majority of people (77 per cent) do not know ‘SEO’ stands for.
Despite the amusing tech jargon mix-ups, 61 per cent of those asked said having a good knowledge of technology is important.
"It seems that quite a few of us need to brush up on our tech definitions," Vouchercloud.net said in a statement.