In the biggest surprise of the year (possible sarcasm alert), the iPhone 5 has been announced at today’s Apple event in San Francisco.
Here are some of the highlights:
- It has 4G capabilities and will be available through new 4G network EE
- At 7.6mm it’s the thinnest iPhone yet.
- And at 112g, it’s also lighter than the iPhone 4S.
- Yes, it has a lovely new 4-inch screen with 16:9 aspect ratio
- But until apps are developed for it, they will appear centred. Hmmm.
- 4G LTE has been confirmed, which is good news for UK network EE, which heavily hinted it would have the iPhone on its 4G service just yesterday.
- Battery life has been improved, with up to 225 hours (!) on standby, 10 hours browsing, 8 hours on 3G, etc.
- New iSight camera is 8MP
- You will now be able to take photos whilst also recording a video. Impressive.
- New Lightning dock connector
All in all, is it worth an upgrade? Perhaps if you’re out of contract and it’s not going to cost you anything extra. Otherwise, if you’ve already got an iPhone 4S, you might just want to hold tight until the next one (which, let’s face it, won’t be that far off).
Want to receive up-to-the-minute tech news straight to your inbox? Then click here to sign up for the completely free PCR Daily Digest and Newsflash email services. You can also follow PCR on Twitter and Facebook.