A new iPhone is about to be released, with eager Apple fans salivating at the thought of the latest must-have upgrade, whilst the rest of the world is awaiting more info.
An invite was sent out for the press conference with the image above on it – a 12 for the date cleverly reflecting the number 5 – presumably to indicate the iPhone 5 itself.
What do we know about it now?
- It will feature a new smaller dock connector, with 9 pins instead of 30. This should help Apple manufacture a smaller device. However, apparently Apple isn’t keen on third-party companies developing their own versions. It’s also bad news for anyone with multiple Apple devices who enjoys using just the one charging lead.
- They might include a new style of in-ear headphones.
- The new iPhone could have a larger screen than current models – perhaps 4 inches compared to the 3.5 inches we see now.
- It will probably have a new form factor, with a metallic back.
- It might have 4G capabilities, which in the UK could work through EE – the newly rebranded network from Everything Everwhere.
- Some rumours suggest an A6 quad-core processor, whilst many are hoping for iOS6 too.
- While it’s expected to be announced tomorrow, therelease date is likely to be September 21st, although some sources are suggesting September 18th.
- It could see the fastest worldwide rollout of an iPhone so far, as rumours suggest China will see the new iPhone 5 by the end of the year.
If you’re out of contract (or willing to buy yourself out), are you going to grab a new iPhone, or perhaps pick up a Lumia 920 or Samsung device instead?
Want to receive up-to-the-minute tech news straight to your inbox? Then click here to sign up for the completely free PCR Daily Digest and Newsflash email services. You can also follow PCR on Twitter andFacebook.