Online retailer opens up its e-reader to third party software developers

Amazon announces App platform

Amazon is preparing its own version of the App Store for the Kindle, in a move that is thought to have been prompted by rumours of an Apple Tablet PC in the pipeline.

According to the New York Times, Amazon has already released a Kindle Developer Kit to a number of developer partners, including Electronic Arts and the Zagat Guide, with more to follow when the scheme enters its beta phase next month.

Although developers will be allowed to suggest their own prices, they will be required to bear the cost of wireless delivery, however once this is covered the developer will keep 70 per cent of the remaining profits with Amazon holding the remaining 30 per cent.

Check Also

PCR Awards 2022 Highlight: Glitz glamour, the PC and tech industry’s finest – the PCR Awards had it all!

The pop of champagne corks welcomed guests upon arrival to this year’s PCR Awards at …