Right, let?s revisit WEEE. Before I start, I should say I?m not an authority on WEEE and you should do your own research to keep yourself legal ? I would suggest contacting WeeeCare, who helped me with this, on 0844 800 2004.

WEEE needs you

If you sell electronic or electrical goods that have been manufactured by someone else, you are classified as a distributor and must offer to take back the same type of item as you supply. You can collect these to be taken away by a WEEE processing firm.

If you offer repairs as a service, the components you change can be included in this collection, the cost of which depends on the company you deal with and the weight and mix of the goods you want to dispose of. It could actually be free of charge. Alternatively, you can pay to join the Distributor Take Back scheme and direct customers to local facilities.

However, if you manufacture any goods yourself, you must pay the Environmental Agency a yearly registration fee, along with fees to your processing firm. Here is where the problem lies. If you are VAT registered and your annual turnover is under £1 million, WEEE laws will cost you over £300 to make just one PC. In fact, if you are in this turnover bracket at all, keeping within the law makes your PCs very expensive and very uncompetitive.

This is an issue that we need your support with – we need to get the point across to the Government that our members are being unfairly dealt with and many have even ceased trading due to these costs. Join us and we can shout louder.

Check Also

PCR Awards 2022 Highlight: Glitz glamour, the PC and tech industry’s finest – the PCR Awards had it all!

The pop of champagne corks welcomed guests upon arrival to this year’s PCR Awards at …