Apple has released its iPhone 3.1 software update, complete with a suite of new features.
Apple claims that the 3.1 OS features four key updates, as well as numerous tweaks to the iPhone’s general performance.
The first new feature is ‘Genius Recommendations’ – an App Store service where users can receive recommendations for applications they might like to try. In a similar mould to music site LastFM, the recommendations are based on previous purchases.
Another new 3.1 service is ‘Genius Mixes’, whereby a user’s iTunes account will automatically generate compilations of songs in a users’ library. Apple claims this can be achieved without the need to base compilations on a sample track.
A 3.1-enabled iPhone will also now have remote access to over 30,000 iPhone ringtones on the iTunes Store. Ringtones can be purchased in the same manner as games, apps and songs.
The final key update is a feature where users can tidy and arrange their Apps via a new homepage within iTunes, of which the configuration can be synced to the iPhone.
It is thought that one of the reasons for the new OS is to give a better resistance to the numerous ‘jailbreaking’ techniques that have plagued the smartphone since it landed on the market.
Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the update on stage at the Yerba Buena Center during last night’s Rock and Roll event.
Apple has also listed a large number of tweaks that the update will administer, which you can find below:
* Improved syncing for music, movies, TV shows, podcasts, and photos
* iTunes U content organization
* Redeem iTunes Gift Cards, codes, and certificates in the App Store
* Display available iTunes account credits in the App Store and iTunes Store
* Save video from Mail and MMS into Camera Roll
* Option to "Save as new clip" when trimming a video on iPhone 3GS
* Better iPhone 3G Wi-Fi performance when Bluetooth is turned on
* Remotely lock iPhone with a passcode via MobileMe
* Use Voice Control on iPhone 3GS with Bluetooth headsets
* Paste phone numbers into the keypad
* Option to use Home button to turn on accessibility features on iPhone 3GS
* Warn when visiting fraudulent websites in Safari (anti-phishing)
* Improved Exchange calendar syncing and invitation handling
* Fixes issue that cause some app icons to display incorrectly